Thursday, December 16, 2010

The road north out of Granby lead me into the mountains, past the Continental Divide, and down finally onto a snow-covered high plateau.

The view was painfully beautiful; possibly the most beautiful stretch of 100 miles I have ever driven. It was one of those times in which I was fully conscious that my eyes were vigourously engaged in filming a movie of memory: first the eyes take in the colors, then the mind transcribes them deep into the subconscious. Here, the sensations were so strong that no camera was needed to provide insurance against the thought that the landscapes which surrounded me in that instant might not be permanently recallable to my future dream world. Memory alone was sufficient to convince me that the beauty of what I was experiencing was not a dream.

On my journey towards Jackson, Wyoming, the sublime feelings with which i brushed paths with true redemption and encountered the very essence of the divine soon gave way to a paralyzing psychological fear. Despite the sunny weather, the dashboard thermometer soon plunged into the single digits, and the desolate road (on which I encountered approximately one automobile for every 15 minutes of driving) soon became completely covered with a glossy layer of ice. As the high winds swept down the plain, I felt the car slide eerily across the double yellow numerous times. Speeds were lowered. My concentration was heightened. I wrestled with the god of loneliness for more than an hour. He knew I was coming(our appointment was long overdue), and he waited for me on that snow covered plain. "You're not allowed to bring anyone," he said. So the passenger seat was empty, and the radio was off.

And then, after much perseverance, I pass again into the mountains. This time, however, I descend. The temperature rises, the snow disappears, and I soon find myself in another tremendous valley. This valley, however, does not threaten me. The roads are black, and the town of Laramie, Wyoming lies visible 15 miles in the distance.

In the town of Laramie, Wyoming there is a cafe called Grounds. It is next to the University, and it has internet and a bike rack. There is where i sit writing this, en route to Jackson, Wyoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment